First-Year Student Checklist - Start Here!
New students, welcome to the University of Redlands! This checklist is intended to help you prepare to join our community in the fall.
Many items need to be submitted as part of the enrollment process after you have paid your admissions deposit and received your login information to the University’s portal, MyRedlands (call the Office of Admissions at 1-909-748-8074 with any questions about this step).
Please note the deadlines or complete these “to dos” as early as possible.
Complete As Soon As Possible
May To Dos
- Academic Questionnaires
Please complete the following three questionnaires no later than Friday, May 11. These will provide the information we need to get you off to the best possible start in your academic schedule. Before you answer, please take a moment to reflect on what you would like to study in college. Some of the questions might seem redundant, but we appreciate your patience in answering them all!
- The First-Year Seminar Questionnaire indicates your preferences among First-Year Seminars offered so we can try to match you with a topic of interest.
- The Academic Interest Questionnaire identifies your areas of academic interest or your intended major, your foreign language interests, and information relevant to placement tests so you can be pre-registered in courses that match your needs.
- The Math Placement Questionnaire indicates whether you will need to take the online math placement test, based on your intended course of study.
- Campus Housing and Meals
All students are required to live on campus unless they have been granted an off campus exemption. Housing assignments are processed on a rolling basis throughout the month of June. Your housing assignment notification will be sent to your Redlands.edu email account in early July. If you are over the age of 23, please note placement in on-campus housing is based on availability.
- Watch the MyRedlands Housing Portal Tour.
- Review the All About Housing and Room and Board Rates pages.
- Complete the New Student Housing Intention Form under “Applications and Forms” on the MyRedlands Housing Portal. This form is due Friday, May 11, however, we will continue to accept forms as students deposit.
- Want to live off campus? The last five questions of this form act as the Off Campus Petition for new students. No further action is needed to petition to live off campus.
- Complete your housing Personal Profile by clicking “Update Information” in the dropdown on the MyRedlands Housing Portal. The information you provide about your living preferences will assist in roommate matching.
- Most students have Residence Life and Housing match them with their roommates using the Personal Profile and New Student Housing Intention Form information, however, students may select to live together or search for possible roommates through the MyRedlands Housing Portal under Housing and Roommates Selection and Roommates/Suitemates. This option will remain available through June 19 at noon.
- Review the meal plan information and Bon Appétit Meal Plan Brochure and make your selection under Meal Plans on the myRedlands Housing Portal.
- Students have the ability to change their meal plan each semester. For the fall, students have until Monday, September 17 to make adjustments using the MyRedlands Housing Portal.
- For housing and meal plan questions, please email Residence Life and Housing at RLH@redlands.edu or call Student Affairs at 909-748-8053.
- Intercollegiate Athletics Pre-Participation Physical and Forms (if applicable)
Forms for 2018-19 athletics participation will be available beginning Tuesday, May 15 and must be completed by Wednesday, August 1. Schedule your athletic pre-participation physical with your personal physician to be completed no earlier than May 15, 2018. Student-athletes are required to submit pre-participation forms for intercollegiate athletics EACH YEAR. Please note, these are different forms from the medical forms for the Student Health Center. To get to the REQUIRED forms and other important information from the Athletics Department, please go to www.goredlands.com, click on Student-Athletes, choose Mandatory Athletic Participation Forms, and follow ALL directions. Please contact your respective coaches for additional information or questions.
June To Dos
- First-Year Journey Application (optional)
Watch the First-Year Journey video, review the First-Year Journey information, then complete the First-Year Journey Application. The application is due Friday, June 8.
- First-Year Academic Experience Application (optional)
Have a unique learning experience, get to know Redlands professors, and connect with new classmates.
Map It! GIS for Beginners
Spend a week learning to use GIS (Geographic Information Systems) mapping technology. GIS is used globally in science, business and the humanities to answer questions such as: “How far do mountain lions roam?”, “Where should the next coffee shop be located?” or “Where will the next hurricane hit?”. You’ll work in small groups mentored by a Redlands faculty member and go on field trips exploring the local area. No prior mapping experience required! Complete the First-Year Academic Experience Application. The application is due Friday, June 8.
- Financial Responsibility Form
All new students are required to submit the Financial Responsibility Form to the Student Financial Services Office by Friday, June 15. Please email it directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Career Assessments
Complete all five career assessments in the “Self-Assessment” module within the FOCUS 2 academic planning and professional development platform by Friday, June 15. Please review the information and follow the instructions outlined in this document.
- Medical Forms
All new students are required to submit medical forms by Friday, June 15 via email, postal service, or in person. Students using email should complete and scan the documents below and send them to email@example.com. Completed documents can also be sent to: University of Redlands, 1200 East Colton Avenue, Redlands, CA 92373-0999, attn: Health Center. Alternately, students who will be attending Connections Day or have other plans to visit campus before June 15 can bring the completed documents to the Health Center or have them forwarded there on their behalf.
- Health Insurance Verification Form. The University of Redlands requires all enrolled students to provide proof of insurance. Students who do not have health insurance can enroll in the health insurance provided through the University.
- Immunization Verification Form. Proof of immunization is required by State law. Please note that the Immunization Verification Form must be completed and endorsed by the student’s medical provider or be accompanied by the student’s immunization record or other documentation, as stated at the top of page one.
- Medical History Questionnaire. Students, with help from their parents/guardians, should complete and submit this questionnaire as it allows immediate and important access to a student’s health history. The absence of this documentation may delay or preclude appropriate care so please take the time to review, complete, and submit.
- Authorization for Treatment of a Minor. Students who will not be 18 or older by August 15, 2018 are required to complete and submit this form, which must be signed by a parent or guardian. PLEASE NOTE: The Health Center staff cannot provide treatment unless this form is on file, so it is imperative for those who will not be 18 years of age by August 15 to submit this form prior to their arrival on campus.
- Redlands Connections Day (optional)
Redlands Connections Day, which will be held on Saturday, July 7, is an opportunity to make contact with your peers and current Redlands students, as well as learn about academics, resources, and campus life. Please RSVP by Monday, June 25.
- Math Placement Test (if applicable)
If your results from the Math Placement Questionnaire (see above) indicated you are required to take a math placement test, please do so no later than Sunday, July 1; you cannot be placed into a math course until you have done so.
July To Dos
- Don’t forget to attend Redlands Connection Day on Saturday, July 7 if you’ve registered (above).
- Student Account Balance
During the week of July 2, billing statements will be available on RedlandsPay, the online student payment portal. Students will be notified via their Redlands email address. Various payment options are available. Accounts must be taken care of by Wednesday, August 1.
- If you are a student-athlete, don’t forget to complete all paperwork (see May To Dos) by Wednesday, August 1.
- Renter's Insurance: Whether living on-campus or at a rented location off-campus, students are encouraged to secure renters insurance to cover the contents of their living space. This can often be added as an addendum to a homeowner's policy, and can also be secured as a stand-alone policy.
August To Dos
- Start Packing!
Take a look at what you should bring!
- Class Registration
The registration process for your first semester at the University of Redlands will take place in two steps:
- Preregistration during the summer: By early August, you will be assigned to a First-Year Seminar, a requirement for all incoming first-year students, and one other course that fits your current academic interests. Your preregistered course assignments will be sent to your Redlands.edu email account approximately three weeks before New Student Orientation.
- Advising and registration during New Student Orientation: When you arrive on campus in the last week of August, you will meet individually with your faculty advisor to select additional (typically two) courses to round out your fall class schedule.
- Final Transcripts
Send your final transcripts to the Admissions Office by Friday, August 10.
- Online Safety Training
In mid-August, all students will be required to complete an online course that covers important safety information about topics that affect everyone, including alcohol use, healthy relationships, and sexual misconduct. Students will receive the course link and all necessary information via their Redlands email. The course takes approximately two hours to complete.
- New Student Orientation and Move-In
Attend the mandatory New Student Orientation from Wednesday, August 29 to Monday, September 3! (The parents’ portion of the program runs from Wednesday through Thursday afternoon.)
- Want to move in early? Visit the Early Arrival Request form on the MyRedlands Housing Portal to learn more about requesting an earlier check-in.
- You will receive communications throughout the summer that include reminders of anything still needed from you. Also, by going to MyRedlands, you can check the "My Documents" link in WebAdvisor to track any outstanding items.
- Please reach out to us if you have any questions! Here are some phone numbers that might come in handy.
- 909-748-8359 - Academic Advising
- 909-748-8069 - Academic Support Services
- 909-748-8074 - Admissions Office
- 909-748-8021 - Health Center
- 909-748-8030 - Professional Development
- 909-748-8019 - Registrar's Office
- 909-748-8053 - Residence Life and Housing
- 909-748-8047 - Student Financial Services
- 909-748-8053 - Student Affairs Office/New Student Orientation
More for Parents
- Consider a membership in Town and Gown, a nonprofit organization that supports the University of Redlands through scholarships for students, service grants for faculty, and the enhancement of the town and gown relationship
- If you want to keep up with campus news, consider subscribing to the Bulldog Blog weekly digest.
- Parents Day/Homecoming is in October!